Surface Treatment Using Organic Solvents including Preservation of Wood and Wood Products
Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document on Surface Treatment Using Organic Solvents including Preservation of Wood and Wood Products with Chemicals.
This document is a working draft of the European IPPC Bureau (of the Commission’s Joint Research Centre). It is not an official publication of the European Union and does not necessarily reflect the position of the European Commission.
Structure and contents of this document:
- Chapter 1 provides general information on the surface treatment using organic solvents (STS) sector and on the general environmental issues for the sector.
- Chapters 2 to 16 provide the information given below on specific sectors (i.e. vehicle coating, coating of other metal and plastic surfaces, coating of ships and yachts, coating of aircraft, coil coating industries, manufacturing of adhesive tapes, coating of textiles, foils and paper, manufacturing of winding wire, coating and printing of metal packaging, heatset offset web printing, flexography and non-publication rotogravure, publication rotogravure, coating of wooden surfaces, preservation of wood and wood products with chemicals, manufacturing of mirrors and coated abrasives);
- Chapter 17 provides information on the common industrial processes, abatement systems and general techniques that are used across most of the sectors of the STS activity.
- Chapter 18 presents the BAT conclusions as defined in Article 3(12) of the Directive, both general and sector-specific for the two activities covered.
- Chapter 19 presents information on ‘emerging techniques’ for the STS and WPC activities as defined in Article 3(14) of the Directive.
- Chapter 20 contains the concluding remarks and recommendations for future work..
- Chapter 21 contains the Annexes with valuable information not fitted into other chapters.